- State Senator Everett R. Peters of St. Joseph and others. the initial cost of the university airport was $2,250,000, of which $750,000 in State of Illinois funds were matched two for one by the United States Civil Aeronautics Administration. This was the first post-depression construction project in Champaign County in which federal funds were allocated for a non-federally owned property. Construction of the airport was begun on May 31, 1944, under the supervision of James J. Doland, professor of civil engineering at the university. The airport was built on 762 acres of land in Tolono township with a total paved area of 338,000 square yards--enough concrete to pave twenty-nine miles of highway twenty feet wide. The first building was an old hangar which was moved in from an airport in Arkansas. Dedication of the University of Illinois Airport, held on October 26, 1945, was a major event of the year in Champaign County. the exemplary cooperative effort by many public-spirited Champaign County citizens, the university administration, and local, state, and federal governments, led to the development of the largest university airport in the world.
- University of Illinois President Willard
- President of the Twin City Federation of Labor, C. J. Walker
- Campus Businessmen's Association lead, Shelby Himes
- Momentum to build a University of Illinois airport was launched in early 1942. University president Arthur Cutts Willard asked the Board of Trustees for the university to participate in the proposed airport project on January 24, 1942. Support in the county and the state was widespread. Among several key people who moved the project forward was local attorney August C. Meyer, Champaign News-Gazette publisher Helen Stevick, newspapermen Harold Holmes and Ed Borman