Chicago, the marvelous city of the West : a history, an encyclopedia, and a guide: 1893: illustrated
|Caption: "[Engraved for The Standard Guide Company.] The Relic House--Near Lincoln Park. [See "Relic House."]". From text: "The most interesting and ornamental monument of the fire is the "Relic House," well known to North-Siders and Lincoln Park visitors. In 1872, when the "leavings" of the fire could be had for the asking or the trouble of picking them up, a man named Rettig conceived the idea of building a small cottage out of such material as a melted mixture of stone, iron and other metals. The queer structure was built at North Park avenue and Central street. Ten years ago it was removed to its present site near the junction of Clark street and North Park avenue (take North Clark street cable line), Philip Vinter becoming the proprietor. Four years afterwards the "Relic House" passed into the hands of its present owner, William Lindemann, who has added a refreshment parlor to the saloon and made quite a rustic spot out of the relic."
|Link to the Full-Text
|Lincoln Park (Chicago, Ill.)
|No Copyright - United States
|Images in this collection were digitized through the University of Illinois Library's participation in the Open Content Alliance and may be used freely. Attribution to the University of Illinois is appreciated. High-resolution images can be downloaded from the Internet Archive at www.archive.org. For further information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Chicago, the marvelous city of the West : a history, an encyclopedia, and a guide: 1893: illustrated
|Author of the Book
|Flinn, John J. (John Joseph), 1851-1929