Images in this collection were digitized through the University of Illinois Library's participation in the Open Content Alliance and may be used freely. Attribution to the University of Illinois is appreciated. High-resolution images can be downloaded from the Internet Archive at www.archive.org. For further information, contact email@example.com.
|Description||From text: "The theatre was a surprise to every one, even in Chicago, where celerity is a prevailing habit and Time has in most things been knocked out of time. The first stone was turned upon the ground on the 12th of June, 1881. Ninety days later--on the 12th of September--the new theater, completed at every point, was thrown open to the public. If the world can offer another case in which a permanent edifice of equal size, beauty and solidity was so well and so rapidly put together, this writer has yet to learn of it." The theater was built on Monroe Street, just west of Dearborn.|
|Link to the Full-Text||http://hdl.handle.net/10111/UIUCOCA:chicagosfirsthal00chic|
|Repository||University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|Coverage-Spatial||The Loop (Chicago, Ill.)|
|Book Title||Chicago's first half century, 1833-1883 : the city as it was fifty years ago, and as it is today : the trade, commerce, manufactories, railroads, banks, wholesale and retail houses, theaters, hotels, churches, and school. http://www.archive.org/stream/chicagosfirsthal00chic#page/n59/mode/2up|
|Collection Title||Picture Chicago|