University Library, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

The items in the Digital Collections of the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Library contain materials which represent or depict sensitive topics or were written from perspectives using outdated or biased language. The Library condemns discrimination and hatred on any grounds. As a research library that supports the mission and values of this land grant institution, it is incumbent upon the University Library to preserve, describe, and provide access to materials to accurately document our past, support learning about it, and effect change in the present. In accordance with the American Library Association’s Freedom to Read statement, we do not censor our materials or prevent patrons from accessing them.

If you have questions regarding this statement or any content in the Library’s digital collections, please contact

American Library Association’s Freedom to Read Statement

Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Accessibility at the University Library

Picture Chicago

Showing 281–320 of 617 items
  • Keeley Institute
    Image | 1893Caption: "[Engraved for The Standard Guide Company.] The Keeley Institute--Laboratory and Office Building. [See "Keeley Institute."]. From text: "Probably no discovery in medicine has been productive of so much intelligent discussion or so much widespread interest during recent years as that made by Leslie E. Keeley, M.D., and it is certain that the workings of no medical in...
  • Keeley Institute business office
    Image | 1893Caption: "[Engraved for The Standard Guide Company.] The Keeley Institute--Interior of Business Office. [See "Keeley Institute."]". From text: "The Laboratory building contains ... [o]ffices for the clerical purposes necessary for so large a business, also for the use of the lady stenographers of which they have to employ at present fifteen, besides book-keepers, clerks, etc."
  • Keeley Institute: Waiting for the train
    Image | 1891Caption: "[Engraved for The Standard Guide Company.] The Keeley Institute--Waiting for the Train at Dwight. [See "Keeley Institute."]". From text: "Train time is always looked forward to at Dwight, sometimes with pleasure and sometimes with sorrow. Pleasant ties are broken every day. The departing graduate, while looking forward with pleasure to meeting his friends once more...
  • Kenwood Club
    Image | 1888From text: "From this meeting resulted the present Kenwood Club, the organization of which was perfected in February, 1884. In June of the same year the Club took possession of the house on Forty-seventh Street, near Lake Avenue, which was formerly the residence of Norman B. Judd, Esq. To this house, a two story and basement frame building, a large addition, 40x75 feet, was ...
  • Kinzie's residence
    Image | 1869From text: "The first white man who became a permanent settler here was Mr. John Kinzie, an Indian trader, who crossed the lake from St. Joseph, Michigan, in 1804. He was the founder of the commerce of Chicago … Outside the fort Chicago then consisted of but five houses: first, Mr. Kinzie's, on the north side of the river, opposite the fort..."
  • Lake Michigan
    Image | 1910Caption: "Lake Michigan From Foot of Granville Ave., North Edgewater"
  • Lake shore plan from Chicago Ave. to 35th St.
    Image | 1919also Field Museum and new Illinois Central Railway Station at Roosevelt Road. Copyright, The Commercial Club of Chicago."
  • Lakeside Club
    Image | 1888From text: ""The Lakeside Club was organized in 1884, for the purpose of promoting social intercourse between its members and their families. Two houses were taken at the corner of Wabash Avenue and Thirtieth Street, and here the Club remained until 1888, when the new Club house on Indiana Avenue (between Thirty-first and Thirty-second Streets) was opened with a grand New Ye...
  • Lake trips from Chicago
    Image | 1912Map with caption: "Showing from One to Two Days' Lake Trips from Chicago, with Longer Trips Indicated."
  • Lake View House
    Image | 1910Caption: "The Lake View House (Permission Mr. James J. Wilson and Chicago Historical Society)". From text: ""There was also a hotel, called the Lake View House, having been opened on July 4, 1854, occupying a site at the northwest corner of what is now designated Grace Street and Sheridan Road. This had been built by James H. Rees and Elisha E. Huntley, and was, without a do...
  • Lake View town hall
    Image | 1912Caption: "Town Hall of the former city of Lake View: Built in 1872 at a cost of seventeen thousand dollars, corner Addison and Halsted streets. Photograph taken by A. W. Watriss". From text: "The name of the Township of Ridgeville was changed to Evanston on February 17th, 1857, accompanied by a change of boundaries. Lakeview Township, formerly a part of Ridgeville Township, ...
  • LaSalle Club
    Image | 1888From text: "The LaSalle Club is a political and social organization. All the leading Republican politicians belong to it, and it is the centre of Republican activity in Chicago. … Organized in 1884 … early in 1888 it took possession of the fine building it now occupies, at 252 West Monroe Street, formerly the residence of C. C. Holton, Esq. The house is of marble, three stor...
  • LaSalle Street
    Image | 1875Caption: "LaSalle Street, Chicago, south from Washington."
  • Leo Krzycki
    Image | 1922One of four individuals depicted above caption: "National Organizers, Chicago Campaign, 1919". On photograph: "371 I. P. E. U."
  • Leonard Swett
    Image | 1910Leonard Swett and Isaac Arnold were defense attorneys for a sensational Chicago murder trial. (Trial was held in Lake County, Illinois.)
  • Levi D. Boone
    Image | 1910From text: "Other notables of the "Old Guard" who arrived in the thirties, and were for the most part in hale and hearty middle life, were … Levi D. Boone (a stalwart Know-nothing)…" Levi D. Boone (1808-1882) was a doctor, captain in the Black Hawk War, and mayor of Chicago (1855-1856). (Source: Encyclopedia of Chicago.) Image is undated but appears to be from the 1860s.
  • Lewis L. Coburn
    Image | 1912From text: "Lewis Larned Coburn was Chicago's pioneer patent lawyer and as a representative of the department of his profession in which he specialized he won national reputation, his ability placing him in the foremost ranks of the patent lawyers of the country. He was, moreover, a man of many personal excellencies whose ability, talents and culture made him the embodiment ...
  • Libby Prison Museum
    Image | 1893Caption: "[Engraved for The Standard Guide Company.] Libby Prison Museum, Wabash Ave., South. [See "Amusements."]". From text: "Located on Wabash avenue, between Fourteenth and Sixteenth streets. One of the principal permanent attractions of the city. The original Libby prison (transported from Richmond, Va., and put up, brick after brick, just as it stood during the War of ...
  • Library Main Office Chicago Joint Board
    Image | 1922Caption: "Library Main Office Chicago Joint Board Amalgamated Clothing Workers". From text: "While these large meetings constitute the center of the educational activities of the union, classes for the instruction of small groups have also on occasion been provided. It is the purpose of the Joint Board to facilitate reading and study by the building of a library which has al...
  • Lillian Russell
    Image | 1892Frontispiece
  • Lincoln Park
    Image | 1875Caption: "Lincoln Park, Chicago, view from the 'Hill.'"
  • Lincoln Park bathing beach
    Image | 1912also a children's bathing beach. It is reached by the North Clark Street electric car."
  • Line of fire victims
    Image | 1904Caption: "A line of victims of the fire awaiting identification."
  • Lithuanian Coat Makers Local 269
    Image | 1922Caption: "Officers and Executive Board Members Lithuanian Coat Makers Local 269".
  • Local Union No. 183 in parade
    Image | 1903Caption: "Local Union No. 183 in Chicago Labor Day Parade."
  • Log house at Kenilworth
    Image | 1910Caption: "Log house at Kenilworth, built by John Doyle Torn down about 1902 (Courtesy Chicago Historical Society)". Photograph is undated but probably was taken in the 1890s.
  • Long bathing beach
    Image | 1920Caption: "One of the long bathing beaches."
  • Looking northeast from near Terrace Row
    Image | 1910Caption: "Looking Northeast from near Terrace Row The Lake Front By Courtesy of the Chicago Historical Society"
  • Looking north from bridge
    Image | 1919Caption: "Looking north from bridge showing monumental arch treatment. Drawing by A. N. Rebori." From text: "Early in the previous year the North Central Business District Association (the name of which has since been shortened to North Central Association) ... invited a number of architects to meet with a committee of its organization with a view to enlisting their interest...
  • Looking north from Park Row
    Image | 1910Caption: "Looking North from Park Row By Courtesy of the Chicago Historical Society"
  • Looking north on State from Madison St.
    Image | 1893Caption: "[Engraved for The Standard Guide Company.] Looking north on State From Madison St. [See "Guide."]". From text: "[W]e will endeavor to do the great retail avenue of Chicago, or at least a portion of it, before the day closes. This thoroughfare ... is one of the grandest commercial arteries in the world. By looking up "State Street" in the Index, you will learn that ...
  • Looking south on Prairie Avenue
    Image | 1893at 1828 that of Daniel B. Shipman, and at 1834 that of Fernando Jones."
  • Louis Lingg, the bomb-maker
    Image | 1889Caption: "Louis Lingg, the bomb-maker. From a Photograph taken by the Police."
  • Louis Schultz
    Image | 1922Caption: "Louis Schultz, Vice President. Officers Chicago Joint Board". On photograph: "371 I. P. E. U."
  • Loyola Academy
    Image | 1910Caption: "Loyola Academy, Rogers Park High School Department of Loyola University (The first of the University Buildings being erected on this site)". Building is now part of the Loyola University campus and has been renamed Dumbach Hall.
  • Luncheon by Daniel Burnham
    Image | 1908Caption: "Luncheon by Daniel Hudson Burnham, architect, to his city-planning colleagues in business when the Plan of Chicago was completed in 1908. From left to right (upper row) : Edward B. Butler, Daniel Hudson Burnham, Charles D. Norton, Clyde M. Carr, Edward F. Carry, Edward H. Bennett, John de la Mataer (secretary), Charles G. Dawes. From left to right (lower row): John...
  • Maclay Hoyne States Attorney
    Image | 1916Caption: "Maclay Hoyne States Attorney for the County of Cook."
  • Mahlon D. Ogden property
    Image | 1910Caption: "The Mahlon D. Ogden Property By Courtesy of the Chicago Historical Society". Image is undated but appears to be from the 1860s.
  • Mail at Union Station
    Image | 1906Caption: "The fast mail at Union Station". From text: "Chicago to-day is the greatest mail center on the continent. Seven hundred tons of this concentrated commerce flow through her gates every twenty-four hours. From every point of the compass, it comes to this great hopper to be ground out, separated, and sent to its destination. Why is this? It is because Chicago is the f...