University Library, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

The items in the Digital Collections of the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Library contain materials which represent or depict sensitive topics or were written from perspectives using outdated or biased language. The Library condemns discrimination and hatred on any grounds. As a research library that supports the mission and values of this land grant institution, it is incumbent upon the University Library to preserve, describe, and provide access to materials to accurately document our past, support learning about it, and effect change in the present. In accordance with the American Library Association’s Freedom to Read statement, we do not censor our materials or prevent patrons from accessing them.

If you have questions regarding this statement or any content in the Library’s digital collections, please contact digitalcollections@lists.illinois.edu

American Library Association’s Freedom to Read Statement

Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Accessibility at the University Library

Picture Chicago

Creator
Date
Type
Language
Subject
Coverage-Spatial
Coverage-Temporal
Showing 121–160 of 617 items
  • Comiskey's Chicago team of 1900
    Image | 1900Caption: "Comiskey's first American League team in Chicago: pennant-winners in 1900. Upper row, left to right: Fisher, Dillard, Isbell, Denzer, Patterson. Middle row: Brain, Hartman, Padden, Comiskey, Shearon, Sugden, Wood. Lower row: O'Leary, Shugart, Hoy, H. McFarland."
  • Commercial Insurance Company's Building
    Image | 1869Lettering in illustration reads: "Commercial Insurance Company's Building 160 & 162 Washington St. Chicago." Text reads: "We have become so accustomed to look eastward for successful and reliable insurance companies, that we often overlook those at our own doors, which, in all the essentials of solvency, are the peers of any in the land. Among these the Commercial Insurance ...
  • Compulsory bath
    Image | 1902September 1902.
  • Confederate prisoners at Camp Douglas
    Image | 1910Caption: "Confederate prisoners at Camp Douglas By Courtesy of the Chicago Historical Society". Camp Douglas opened as a training camp for Union troops in 1861 on the property of Stephen J. Douglas, between 31st and 33rd Streets, and Cottage Grove and present-day Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, and later served as a prisoner of war camp for Confederate soldiers. (Source: Encyc...
  • Conspiracy meeting
    Image | 1889Caption: "The Conspiracy meeting at 54 West Lake Street. Waller reading Engel's 'plan.'"
  • Cook County Hospital
    Image | 1906Caption: "The Cook County Hospital, the largest of the public charities of Chicago, occupies twelve acres on West Harrison and Polk streets. The main building is a handsome edifice of red brick with stone trimmings and contains twenty-four wards each devoted to a separate class of disease. Any patient without money is taken at this hospital and receives as good treatment as ...
  • Cooking class
    Image | 1912Caption: "Class in cooking--Normal Practice School. By courtesy of the Board of Education".
  • Corner, manufacturing room
    Image | 1922August 1922.
  • Corner of State and Washington
    Image | 1906Caption: "Corner of State and Washington Streets, showing the Marshall Field establishment[.] Marshall Field's retail dry goods store, the largest in the world, is located at the corner of State and Washington streets. The great Field store extends along State Street to the next block. On the corner fronting the pedestrian from almost any angle, hangs a huge clock which an e...
  • Corner, watch repair room
    Image | 1922August 1922.
  • Court House in 1860
    Image | 1910Caption: "The Court House in 1860 (Nucleus of Business Centre, Political Rallying Place, Highest Point of Observation)"
  • Courtyard of Hull House
    Image | 1920Caption: "The Courtyard of Hull House."
  • Crilly buildings
    Image | 1963Caption: "The Crilly buildings--including eight homes and ten apartment houses--lie between North Park, St. Paul, La Salle, and Eugenie, and have been called "the foundation stone of modern Old Town." Developer Daniel F. Crilly built them between 1877 and 1905. ... Below, small but varied in treatment, are back porches of the Crilly Court apartments."
  • Crosby's Opera House
    Image | 1910Caption: "The Grand Army Reunion of 1868 at Crosby's Opera House Lt.-Gen. Sherman Delivering Address of Welcome (This Building then Ranked as "the Most Imposing Art Temple of the Country")"
  • Cutters and Trimmers Commission
    Image | 1922Caption: "Cutters and Trimmers Commission, Hart, Schaffner and Marx, James Mullenbach, Chairman". On photograph: "371 I. P. E. U."
  • Daniel Hudson Burnham
    Image | 1899Caption: "Daniel Hudson Burnham, director of works of World's Columbian Exposition and author of the Chicago Plan. From portrait by Zorn, by permission of Mrs. Burnham."
  • Davis Square branch reading room
    Image | 1911From text: "The wide distribution of Chicago's population has made it necessary to provide small branch or deposit libraries in the residence districts, thus, in a measure, carrying the benefits of the Library to those who cannot conveniently come to it. These are established at convenient points throughout the city and were formerly housed in rented quarters, frequently in ...
  • Dayton Street house doorway
    Image | 1963Caption: "The entrance to a house on Dayton, above. Doors carved in a fanciful pattern are divided into several nicely proportioned panels."
  • Deacon Philo Carpenter
    Image | 1910From text: "The Deacon (he was deacon emeritus in his last years) came to Chicago in 1832, and was largely instrumental in organizing the First Presbyterian Church. Later he moved to the West Side, and there joined the Third Church. As an ingrained Abolitionist he attended the Anti-Slavery Convention in Cincinnati in 1850..." Image appears to be an enhanced photograph and is...
  • Deacon William Bross
    Image | 1910From text: "Among somewhat later arrivals (the men of the forties) the Hon. William Bross, ex-Lieutenant-governor and "deacon" extraordinary, easily took first rank, because--well, because he was "Deacon" Bross." William Bross (1813-1890) was a journalist and served as Lieutenant Governor. (Source: Encyclopedia of Chicago.) Image is undated but appears to be from the 1860s.
  • Dearborn Street
    Image | 1875Caption: "Dearborn Street, south from Monroe".
  • Dearborn Street
    Image | 1906Caption: "Dearborn Street, the "Sixth Avenue" of Chicago, is one of the city's leading retail business thoroughfares. Here are banks, hotels and cafes in confusing array. It is also noted as a street of outfitters, haberdashers and stores of that type. Finer or handsomer business structures are not to be found on this continent. At one end is Polk Street Depot
  • Dearborn Street
    Image | 1906Caption: "Dearborn Street, the "Sixth Avenue" of Chicago, is one of the city's leading retail business thoroughfares. Here are banks, hotels and cafes in confusing array. It is also noted as a street of outfitters, haberdashers and stores of that type. Finer or handsomer business structures are not to be found on this continent. At one end is Polk Street Depot
  • The death of Marquette
    Image | 1916Book frontispiece. Caption from list of illustrations: "The death of Marquette. From drawing for mosaic, Marquette Building, Chicago, by J. A. Holzer." From text: "At the mouth of Pere Marquette River, where the city of Ludington now stands, he died on May 18, 1675. His companions interred his body in accordance with directions Marquette himself had given. The following year...
  • Delivery room
    Image | 1911From text: "The Delivery Room proper, which extends across the entire width of the building, with a length of 134 and a depth of 48 feet, is divided into three parts by a rotunda in the center, surmounted by a beautiful stained-glass dome. Elliptical arches rise from the marble piers at the four corners, and the walls above are elaborately covered with mosaics, into which ar...
  • Democratic National Amphitheatre
    Image | 1860-1869Caption: "Democratic National Amphitheatre Situated on Michigan Avenue, near Twelfth street. Original owned by Chicago Historical Society".
  • Dickens and Halsted apartment building
    Image | 1963Caption: "Architectural details add interest to many houses in the Sheffield area. On the opposite page is a three-story bay on an apartment building at the corner of Dickens and Halsted."
  • Dickens Avenue home
    Image | 1963Caption: "Airy fretwork decorates the porch of a Dickens Avenue home, right. Builders used to select trim from mill catalogues. Note the rope molding on top window."
  • Dismissal at noon
    Image | 1912Caption: "Dismissal at noon--Jirka School. By courtesy of the Board of Education" Jirka Public Day-School for the Deaf was located on 17th between Loomis and Laflin Sts. (Source: The Volta review, Volume 15, Issue 2.)
  • Dome and Grand Stairway
    Image | 1912Caption: "Dome and grand stairway of Art Institute, completed in 1912. Courtesy of Art Institute of Chicago". From text: "There are now in 1911, fifty public exhibition galleries, of which twenty-seven are skylighted, and plans are being made to extend the building eastward by bridging the Illinois Central railroad tracks with skylighted galleries and building new museum hal...
  • Dominck Aiello's assassination site
    Image | 1930Caption: "Dominck Aiello, minor member of the North Side gang. (Lower photograph) The last public appearance of Dominck Aiello."
  • Douglas Club
    Image | 1888From text: "Organized in April, 1885, the Douglas Club has its quarters at 3518 Ellis Avenue."
  • Draughting department
    Image | 1908Draughting department for Chicago location of the Chicago Railway Equipment Company.
  • Dr. Charles Volney Dyer
    Image | 1910From text: "Other notables … who arrived in the thirties … [were] ... Dr. C. V. Dyer …" Charles Volney Dyer (1808-1878) was a physician and abolitionist. (Source: Encyclopedia of Chicago.) Photograph is undated but appears to be from the 1860s.
  • Dr. N. S. Davis
    Image | 1910Image appears to be an enhanced photograph. Image is undated, but appears to have been taken in the 1880s.
  • Early shopping district at Lake and La Salle
    Image | 1910Caption: "The Early Shopping District Intersection of Lake and La Salle Streets By Courtesy of the Chicago Historical Society"
  • Early shopping district at Lake and Wells
    Image | 1910Caption: "The Early Shopping District Intersection of Lake and Wells Streets By Courtesy of the Chicago Historical Society"
  • Eddie Foy
    Image | 1904Caption: "Eddie Foy, Leading Actor, who told the audience to go out slowly."
  • Educational meeting and concert
    Image | 1921November 18, 1921.
  • Edward F. Dunne
    Image | 1907From text: "Then came the Mayoralty campaign of 1905. An open letter to the people of Chicago by Judge Tuley practically made Edward F. Dunne the nominee of the Democratic party on a no-franchise Immediate Municipal Ownership platform. … As a result of a heated campaign in which traction was the principal issue, Dunne was elected ... Mayor Dunne sought with singleness of pur...